Pages

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Knocked Off: Simple Nightstand

In an effort to pretty much hand-build our entire selection of household furniture (minus the pieces we decided to keep that were already here, and buying a couch because that's just where the mister decided to draw the line), I've been collecting plans from Ana-White.com for quite some time now. In an effort to make our bedroom a little more organized, I decided to build the Simplest Nightstand. We used some scrap lumber from old bed rails, so the dimensions are a little off from Ana's plan. But my motto is waste not, want not, and I think our little piece is quite the stunner!


You'll notice there's a bit of a sway in the top. This is what happens when you don't measure properly and are too lazy to take it apart or sand it down. Obviously these are things I'll need to improve on all my future projects!


It looks much better from the front. Minus the chip, it's just because the wood was about 50 years old. I'm sure it's nice that it gets to see the light of day now, and not the bottom of a box spring!


I picked up my cute little knob at Hobby Lobby, of all places. I love the "N". Nothing like a little classic Pottery Barn initial action to really make it all complete.

Overall, it's not a bad first attempt. Not great, but not bad. It works great for what it's for. But it also serves as a smack in the face of my average woodworking capabilities. Time to step it up a notch and measure well, square up, and choose good lumber for each job. I also need a little work on my sanding and finishing. At least it's all up from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment