Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Making a Cake, Take 57

Okay, so if you haven't been keeping up, I tried to make a test wedding cake using the new Cricut Cake. Super fail. So now, I'm testing out this whole Rice Krispies cake concept. Overall, I'd say my first attempt was a super success, and I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to have a crazy cute cake on my wedding day.


I just popped on a little lace I had leftover from another project, and it looked alright. It wasn't exactly the feel I was going for, and was a bit too tall.


It actually looks pretty cute! I had to use my slow-cooker bowl to make the mold, and you can tell it's a little bit slanted due to the fact that the sides aren't straight. Here's a closeup of the ribbon and "cake"


I wanted to test out the freshness factor, since many commented that the cake has the potential to get pretty hard and difficult to cut. I plan to refrigerate after I make it the day before, then display it open air when we set things up, probably around 6ish when the groom's cake makes it's debut. Though it should only have about 2 hours of "open air" time, I left it out overnight to really check things out. And it was perfect! I cut out a slice with a knife and me and the FSIL taste tested it. Approved!

So how do I solve the shape issue? Well, I was brainstorming with my FMIL, and she came up with the idea of those cardboard hatboxes from Hobby Lobby. And whaddya know, they're 30% off this week! So for about eight bucks, we came home with two boxes perfectly shaped for a wedding cake. I also bought two rolls of red bandanna ribbon, and popped on a few extra butterflies to make a mock-up of the real thing.


Hooray! It doesn't look like a third grader made it! Just pretend the brown box is delicious Rice Krispies treats, and we're good to go. I absolutely adore it. I love the addition of the butterflies, and how the ribbon is so cute and country. It's totally going to fit in, and look fab doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment