Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Setting the Scene

We've already talked about how I'll be decorating the park pavilion (with string lights and paper lanterns), but let's talk a little more about tables. We're lucky enough to be provided with 44 picnic tables for our guests with the park rental. I already love that they're more interesting than regular old rounds, but mostly because I don't have to mess around with chairs! Less work for me, I'll take it! Here's what we'll be starting with.

In lieu of table cloths, we'll be laying down butcher paper over the tables. It's pretty much a barbecue joint staple, and I love the country vibe. And the price tag. Way, way cheaper than renting table cloths. Plus, if they get messy, they're disposable! No cleaning fees! It just keeps getting better and better. The next layer is ribbon. Out of our four colors (yellow, red, orange, and brown) we'll be adding three ribbons down the middle of each table. As for the actual centerpieces, it'll mostly consist of the tin can luminaries spray painted in our colors and mason jar candles.


I think it will make for good chow-down ambiance. Once I considered all these ingredients together, I realized it was still lacking a little something. One thing that bugs me about going to weddings is getting bored during the "down times". Once you've sat down, when your table mates are getting drinks, or taking a dance break, and you just don't know what to do. I have a solution to this dilemma!

Crayons! Who doesn't love a good game of tic tac toe or hangman to kill time? And with the butcher paper, it will be perfect! Kids can doodle and scrawl, adults can play games. I think it's a brilliant plan. Plus, it'll help add an extra pop of color as well as fill up a bit more space. I don't want things to get too crowded so that people can't even eat. I have to keep in mind that we plan on having chips and salsa on the tables before everyone eats dinner, so that's a space-filler too.

Who else has to think outside the box for tablescapes? Are you using paper, tablecloths, or something else entirely?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

brooke- i love your creativity and i'm always inspired by it. only wish i was as crafty as you! i'm sure your wedding will be awesome (budget-friendly-and-all)

Post a Comment