Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Let's Rehearse Over Meatballs...

In case you were worried I was having a total hick wedding, let me put your fears to bed.

My name is Sand Dollar, and I am having a Red-Neck Wedding. A no-holds-barred, beer-drinkin', hell-raisin', foot-stompin' good time. There, I said it. It feels good to get it off my chest! Don't get me wrong, I admire a chic black tie event as much as the next girl. And if my budget (or groom) allowed it, I would probably consider doing things a bit higher-end. But alas, it's just not in the cards for me (heard enough clichés yet??)

Case in point: the Rehearsal Dinner. At first, I had planned on nixing this completely. Neither party on Mr. SD's side had mentioned hosting, and there was no way on earth I was going to volunteer. Especially when (n my opinion) I don't think we need to rehearse. We're all walking down the aisle to one song, no changes. We're not doing any special seating. And as I'm doing a first look and not surprising my groom, we'll all be lined up together out of sight. Ultimately the men start walking, the ladies follow, then after a good 10 seconds I'll head down with my parents on each arm. Not too complicated! Then bada bing bada boom! We're married and heading back up the aisle. What's there to rehearse? But knowing FMIL and her crazy-traditional slash tacky-nineties-mindset (we're talking balloon arches surrounded by fake ivy-covered lattice), she decided we MUST have a rehearsal dinner. At the community civic center. And here's the catch:

It's gonna be a potluck. Yes guys. A potluck rehearsal dinner. I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing! Soon enough I will be up to my ears in tulle and plastic bells and jordan almond strewn centerpieces. Because I'm 99% positive that she will dominate the decor. And you know what? I'm okay with it. This is her big shindig, and I want nothing to do with coordinating it. I've basically paid, planned, and orchestrated the entire wedding by my lonesome, and it's such a relief to hand something over completely. Go ahead! Ask all your friends to make spaghetti, or barbecue meatballs, or pound cake. I don't care! All I want is for all my wedding party and out-of-towners to be able to come together that evening and carb-load before I slave drive everyone the morning of the wedding to set up. Cause you can guar-on-tee I will be exploiting my friend labor. We have from 7am to setup for our 6pm wedding. So feel free to stock up on the matzo balls and cream cheese wheels the night before guys, you're gonna need it!

Is there any aspect of your wedding where you're completely hands off (regardless of the tackiness factor?!?)

No comments:

Post a Comment