Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Guest Post: Bouquets with Meaning

My Bestie S got married a couple of years ago, and had the best DIY wedding. It inspired me in a million ways for my own celebration. Recently she blogged about her bouquets, and her thoughts behind them. I admit I was completely surprised that there was more to it than just fitting in with her color scheme! Without further ado, take it away Stacie!

"I put a lot of thought into all the details of my wedding.  Some were noticed, and others, I think, were there simply for my own pleasure.  One of the things I was most excited about was the thought put into my bridesmaids’ bouquets.  Each wonderful woman that stood by my side that day had a single-colored bouquet of daisies…Audrey had orange, Jamie had purple, Brooke had pink, and Mary-Claire had red.  And from these happy little bouquets (because I think daisies are just very happy flowers), hung bright pink ribbon with each bridesmaid’s “title”: “Maid of Laughter”, “Maid of Creativity”, etc.  (I didn’t have a maid of honor…I just couldn’t choose as I felt they had all poured so much into my life in their unique ways)  My bouquet was a medley of them all in every aspect; it was a combination of all the colors and symbolically, of the characteristics each bridesmaid represented. I wanted to visually and creatively portray the idea that I am undeniably a mosaic of all of the people in my life.


And so I write this as a tribute to all the truly amazing women in my life who are graciously contributing to the mosaic that is me.  (There are wonderful men as well, but my lady friends :) and family shine brilliantly brighter)  I am constantly humbled, challenged, inspired, comforted, and humored by the women I am surrounded by.  I am graced by the presence of some of these women on a weekly basis while others I only see when all of the stars (read: our schedules) align.  Regardless of how often we see each other, the women in my life mean the world to me.

These women love well, live loudly, and teach me to be a better person whether they know it or not.  Each of their lives offers a lesson for me – work as if working for the Lord; find beauty in everything; dream bigger; be present where you are; trust in the Lord; love others with all you have; see the world, it can teach you more than you thought possible; be the future generation’s biggest fan and biggest inspiration; let loose; care for the sick; love orphans; create; be open to the blessing of change; follow your passions; give generously.

As I get older, I realize more and more the beauty and value of being surrounded by truly incredible women.  I also realize that not everyone has that…it is something to be treasured and cared for. This tribute of sorts is my attempt to avoid taking these women, these blessings, for granted.  I want to acknowledge them and thank them.  I’m pretty sure you know who you are….I HOPE you know who you are…otherwise, I have work to do in telling you or showing you how much you mean to me."

Was there a detail that you've planned with more meaning than meets the eye? What kind of thoughtful touches are you including?

No comments:

Post a Comment