Pages

Saturday, July 10, 2010

So, um...we're not best friends


Sometimes I feel like I'm not part of the cool crowd. It seems like everywhere I look, people say that they're marrying their best friend. And as much as I love Mr. SD, it would be a total lie to call him my best friend. We enjoy spending time together, and have a lot of common interests that we love to pursue with each other. But neither of us relies on the other to fulfill the best friend role. I learned a life lesson from some extremely successful, intelligent, and wonderful women. They belong to a group called the Soroptimists, and it's like girl scouts for grown ups. These women taught me that when marriage gets rough and men fail you (which they will, no matter how badly they don't want to), your girlfriends will always be there with a margarita to cheer you up. They've cleaned me up and been there for me without ever batting an eyelash.

I'm going to express a seemingly unpopular opinion. I don't want Mr. SD to be my best friend. I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. I need to cultivate a life away from my husband. And to be honest, he just plain drives me crazy sometimes. We have a very healthy relationship, one of the best in our group of friends. And I think it's because we've decided to set healthy boundaries with each other. We don't do everything together. His best friend Cody is his running buddy. They go fishing, hunting, drinking, and working together. Mr. SD will be his best man next weekend. I've got four girls who I consider my soul mates. I can't wait to get them all together on my wedding day too. But even though we have our time away, Mr. SD and I still spend quality time together working on our relationship. I can't wait to marry the man I love with all my heart, and spend the rest of our lives together.

Any other brides out there marrying great guys they don't consider their best friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment