Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Knocked Off: Farmhouse Bed Part 2


You've all seen the rustic version of our farmhouse bed. We built it using reclaimed wood stored in my dad's barn, with extra supplies coming in at around 18 bucks. Not too shabby for a bed, eh? After moving it down to G-ma's house, it was time to sand and stain. We wanted to match the sliding closet doors, so a light reddish-brown shade.


We chose Minwax "Gunstock" and I'll admit it. It was a bad choice. It didn't turn out horrible, but it was way more orange than we'd hoped.


I revisited Lowe's to see if we were fooled or just plain dumb. Yeah, we fell in the dumb category. The chip looks exactly like the bed. Which isn't bad, it's just reeeeeeaaaaly orange.


Trust me, you can see it more in real life. And the three lighter wood boards now stick out like a sore thumb. I'm planning on building the farmhouse bench to stain to match the bed, and cover up that awkward spot. For now, I really like it! It's glossy and shiny and smooth. So what if it's a bit bright. I'm sure it will fade over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment