Pages

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Cricut Cake, Round Two


Success! We finally got a chance to give the Cricut Cake a real test. Learning from our past mistakes, we came into this cake test fully armed. We started with a flat buttercream cake from Wal Mart. Yes, Wal Mart. Their cakes actually don't taste bad at all. But for the wedding cake, I'll be going somewhere a bit fancier. The finished product left something to be desired.


The cake was uneven, and the stacking of tiers was just awful. But for my San Marcos Wedding Shindig, it was just fine.


We rolled out our fondant after tinting it with frosting dye, froze it for 20 minutes then loaded up the Cricut. And she worked like a charm! Here's a quick method for those of you with a cricut cake.
1. Tint your fondant.
2. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes, mix up your other colors if you have more.
3. Roll it out on a sheet brushed with shortening so it won't stick.
4. Transfer your fondant to the cricut mat (unless you rolled it out on one, which makes you smarter than me!)
5. Freeze for 10 minutes
6. Cut your shapes
7. Freeze for 10 minutes
8. Remove your shapes and decorate!


I rolled out the orange a little thick. We also didn't spend too much time adding detailed sculpting to the fondant pieces. If this were a wedding cake, I would spend much more time on it. But it was for a backyard party, and it still took about 3 hours to do. So be prepared if you plan to DIY your cake, even if it's just for a party. The results, however, were stellar.


It was a real hit! Nothing super challenging, but it was a solid first effort. I'd love to steal the Cricut Cake from my mom for a couple of months and see what I can do with it. I'm tempted to try adapting my regular Cricut to cut frosting, has anybody done this before? I wanna know!

Anybody else DIY-ing baked goods for your wedding? How did it turn out?

No comments:

Post a Comment