Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Creating a Soundtrack

I'm gonna be honest right now, and please don't hate me. But I'm totally not obsessed with music. I don't spend hours crafting thoughtful playlists. I'm a fan of cliché songs. I do favor indie artists like Lenka and Ingrid Michaelson, but honestly I wasn't stressing on what we would be playing at the wedding. Mr. SD is more that person, so I left it up to him. Save for the entrance song. It speaks to my soul.

Have you ever heard Little Big Town's Bring It On Home? If not, you need to check it out here. Here's a snippet:


You know I know you like the back of my hand,
don't you know I'm gonna do all that I can right here? Yes I am.
Take your worries and just drop them at the door.
Baby leave it all behind.


When your long day is over,
and you can barely drag your feet,
the weight of the world is on your shoulders,
I know what you need. Bring it on home to me.

It really is my favorite song. I constantly genius it on my iTunes. I have all of Little Big Town's music, it's fabulous. I'm just having a friend and his wife sing with his guitar and have everyone walk down to it so we can hear the full song. I haven't decided on a recessional, I'm tempted to have him break into the chorus of their new single, Little White Church ;)

For our first dance, Mr. SD chose She's Like Texas by Josh Abbot Band.




I adore this song. I was born in Nacogdoches, and we started our relationship while I lived in Dallas. It's so spot on, and super sweet. Plus, it's a bit on the faster side so we can bust out our secret dance moves. Yes, we're planning a flip. Let's see if I don't bust my butt like I do 50% of the time. We plan on a little outdoor practice on our sand volleyball court beforehand!

For the rest of the reception music, we're splitting time between our favorite (and soon to be crazy-famous!) band, the Midnight River Choir and an ipod playlist (the park has a loudspeaker system that they use for festivals and events, so we're all good there). I'm still on the fence about our father/daughter dance as well. Thoughts are Johnny Cash's Thing Called Love and maybe something vintage country. This may be a long shot, but if anybody has a classic country suggestion please let me know! And by classic I mean 50's - 70's. No Stealing Cinderella or Butterfly Kisses, we just ain't sentimental folks ;)

Anybody else having untraditional musical selections?

No comments:

Post a Comment