Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

Knocked Off: Lack Bookcases


Back when I was decorating my apartment on a starving artist's budget, I fell in love with the IKEA Lack bookcase. But the $130 pricetag had me shaking in my boots. So I thought, why not just build it myself? It's so basic and simple. In fact, it was pretty easy, considering I had to enlist the help of a coworker to use his chop saw. Here's the original.

I can still see why I fell in love. So sleek and modern. Off to Lowe's we went, and spent $80 on 2x12's and screws to build two, yes two, bookcases. I spent one third of what IKEA would have cost me, and that's a rare thing to say!


I sprayed them chrome to match the rest of my IKEA finds, and I absolutely love them. They reflect light so beautifully, and as my contractor friend joked, I can store truck engines on them if I wanted to! Given my inexperience and lack of tools, I didn't sand, putty holes, or prime it. So I'm sure there are better possible renditions of these. For now, I can't wait to move into our house and rescue them from my parents' place since my current apartment is way too small (plus they weigh a ton!) I'm getting the carpentry itch again, hopefully soon I'll get to build something beautiful.

1 comment:

Ana White said...

LOVE your bookcases, the finish is my favorite part! must be a gray weathered stain?

Post a Comment