Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

Hair Comb Tutorial


Start with a comb and some wire. I buy my combs at Hobby Lobby on 50% off day, so it's $1 for 2. The wire I bought at Wal-Mart, it's the floral wire from the craft section. It was for my butterfly bouquets, and I just have a ton left over so I never bought jewelry wire. And I'm here to tell you that it's fine. Start by making a loop around one of the tines.


Load up your wire with beads, I used pearls from HL, again at half off. I make the first row by wrapping one bead at a time per tine. Then I just keep wrapping in rows, alternating sizes. One thing to keep in mind is that you're not adding beads to the back, so it lays flat.


See what I mean? The back should just be wire. I cover it with hot glue so that it seals everything in and won't stab anyone in the head.


You can make it straight lines, or you can make a mounded shape like mine. Basically you just keep going until you're happy with the shape. There's no rhyme or reason to it. I added flowers to the one I'll wear to the wedding by smushing them into the hot glue.


You could add anything, peacock feathers, flower petals, whatever! On this one I mixed in crystal beads along with the pearls, I like this look better. But really, just have fun with it. You could make them with buttons, beads, rocks, gems, whatever! Just make it yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment