Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2010

WIWOT: Dallas Black Marriage Day

Have you ever heard of Black Marriage Day? It's a day of celebrating marriages in the national African-American community. Dallas Black Marriage Day is the annual celebration on a local scale. I started on this site in 2009, and had a few versions before we found the final fit. This was a quick whiz-bang job, and they wanted to keep costs at a minimum so I decided to customize a website using iWeb on my mac. I know, it sounds strange, a designer using a basic editing program? But you really can do a ton of cool stuff in there, and it's so easy to edit. I can customize images in photoshop, pop them into iPhoto and edit to my heart's content. We've added sound bytes, a nomination form (which I actually had to implement in Dreamweaver post export, so I did get a little fancy there) and a photo gallery. All are simple drag and drop edits.

I love these photos from the winner's gallery. These go on display all over the city of Dallas to promote healthy marriage awareness and the DBMD event. But the point of this whole post is, don't underestimate the power of simple programs. Unleash your creativity on templates, no matter how generic. You can always achieve a custom look at a fraction of the cost, since you don't have to worry about coding all the structure behind it. And iWeb really is a great program for the first time user. I'll come back tomorrow with round two of iWeb's fun and simple website turnarounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment