Pages

Friday, January 15, 2010

Spotlight: Expect Respect

Now this is a program I can get on board with. Expect Respect is a class geared towards teens in high-risk dating relationships. Taught in classrooms in the Rockwall, Texas area, this program was the brainchild of the Rockwall Soroptimists, a community group that I fondly refer to as "girlscouts for grown ups". You can follow their blog and see just what they're getting up to these days. But it's a highly admirable organization and if you're a professional woman out there, you should look up the Soroptimist International for a group in your area.


I was approached to design their classroom materials and website pro bono. As a survivor of domestic abuse myself, I was honored, if not ecstatic, to have this opportunity. I wanted to make everything interesting and fun so high schoolers wouldn't be bored to tears thinking about the lame class they have to go to this week. I kept the whole urban vibe in mind, and made it so kids could doodle along with the imagery while they're learning. It's a well-known fact in montessori-style learning that hearing and drawing are linked, so you actually retain more information while doodling during that meeting with the CEO. Spout that fact next time they catch you scrawling clouds and flowers in your board meeting.

This was a one-night site, which was a pretty common theme in my past. Once again this is an iWeb template customized with my own graphics and images. It's so much fun to see a plain template come to life and look so polished. Everything is cohesive with the print material. I get so excited over these sites, sometimes even moreso than ones I build from scratch. I don't know, maybe it's just the whole prettification process. Whatever it is, it makes me happy to be a designer!

1 comment:

Lynette Coughlin and Erin Kincaid said...

I love your blog. You really are sooo talented. We are lucky to work with you!

Post a Comment