Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

That Thing YuDu

Have you heard of the Yudu? It's an all-in-one screen printer that's completely portable and pretty easy to use (once you get the hang of it). After hearing about it and checking out the sample at Michaels, I decided to bite the bullet and invest in one with the hopes of selling tees and tanks of my designs as a side business.

It wasn't so easy to get the hang of for me. The first step is to adhere the emulsion to the screen. The video makes it seem so easy, but it took me a couple of tries to really get the hang of it. Another annoyance was that my new screen came with a design already on it, which means I had to remove it before burning what I really wanted.

I finally managed to adhere the emulsions (amidst much cursing and violent gesturing) and burned my 2 color design into them. I had a slight mistake on both, so instead of wasting yet more money on the name-brand blockout, I just slapped on some green nail polish and will remove it when I'm finished with the design. The beauty here is that all you have to do is remove the emulsion (with expensive emulsion remover) and your screen is ready to go again! Very handy, I think.


The first pass went well, but at the end I figured out that you have to rinse the screen between each print. Seems obvious to most, but I've only done intaglio printing where you simply add more ink each time. So by the time I started the red I had the process down.

The second pass went well, even with lining up the designs properly. I'd say it was a pretty successful venture, and I can't wait to get started with real shirts!

No comments:

Post a Comment